Bunn Home Coffee Maker
There are three things that set Bunn home coffee maker apart: excellent drip coffee, very fast brewing and very solid build. We will talk about what users think about Bunn coffee makers a little later. First let's have a look at what makes these coffee makers so unique.
How does a Bunn coffee maker work? Well, Bunn uses a brewing system that is quite different from other manufacturers. A system that extracts coffee at the ideal brewing temperature (200°F - most other brands don't come anywhere close to this). A system that can brew 10 cups of coffee in 3 minutes.
The coffee maker has two water tanks. The lower tank is always kept at the brewing temperature. The upper reservoir is used for cold water. To make your pot of coffee you put cold water into the upper reservoir. Shutting the lid of this reservoir triggers the brewing process. The hot water from the lower water tank is used to brew your coffee. The cold water from the upper tank then goes into the lower tank and is heated up ready for your next pot of coffee.
The way water is delivered onto the coffee grounds is also unique. There is a spray-head above the filter basket that sprays the hot water onto the coffee grounds with fairly high intensity. This creates a degree of turbulence that ensures that the coffee oils are extracted evenly from all the coffee grounds.
Since standard Bunn coffee makers use water at 200°F, they should not be used at high altitudes. In high altitudes, water boils at a lower temperature. The boiling point of water at sea level is 212°F, at 5000 feet it is 203°F and at 10000 feet it is only 194°F. These numbers are only approximate - the exact temperature at which the water will boil is determined by the actual atmospheric pressure that is different every day. Now, since the coffee maker has to use water that is hot but not boiling, the brewing temperature has to be set well below the boiling point of water at the given altitude. If you live above 5000 feet then you should get Bunn coffee maker specifically designed for use in high altitudes. These coffee makers are set to use a lower temperature and have "D" in their model number.
What users think about Bunn home coffee makers
Bunn home coffee makers typically have excellent customer reviews. Let's have a look at what users like and dislike most.
What users like
- Bunn coffee makers brew excellent coffee - coffee that is smooth, not bitter and rich in taste. The coffee is better than what most other automatic drip coffee makers produce.
- A lot of owners commend the build quality - these coffee makers are built to last (that's why they come with 3 years warranty).
- The remarkably fast brewing is another feature that users simply love.
- Most users also like that the coffee is really hot.
- Good customer service is another plus.
- As a side benefit, these coffee makers can also dispense hot water for making tea or other drinks.
- These coffee makers are meant to stay always on - keeping the water heated up to the brewing temperature. It may actually take up to 15 minutes to heat the water up. So the 3 minutes brewing time is a bit misleading - it is assuming that the water has been already heated. Some people see this as a waste of energy and suggest using a socket timer to avoid the wastage. You just set the timer to turn the coffee maker on about 20 minutes before it's going to be used. This may work well for people who only make one cup of coffee in the morning before leaving for work.
- Some users find that the filter occasionally overflows. This usually happens when you use a third party coffee filter or if you grind the coffee too fine. Bunn coffee filters are a bit taller than filters from other brands - so make sure you use them.
- There are also some people who find the taste of the coffee a bit weak. If you find that this is a problem for you, try grinding your coffee slightly more fine. You may also want to get a slow-flow spray-head - you can order it from Bunn's website (they may even send it to you for free!).
All in all, Bunn coffee makers are certainly worth considering. They are probably one of the most durable home coffee makers around and they do make a very good drip coffee. In the next article we will talk about individual models of Bunn home coffee makers.
Further ReadingBunn Home Coffee Makers
Thermal Coffee Makers
Automatic Drip Coffee Maker
Cleaning a Coffee Maker