French Press Coffee Pot: Safety
Safety precautions when using coffee press
While the French press coffee pot is very simple to use, it is important to remember that it can cause serious burns if you are not careful. So what exactly is the potential hazards? Well, there are actually two different risks and both of them can lead to burns.
The first issue is hot water splashing out while you are pushing the filter down. This can easily scald your hand or even your face.
The second possible problem is even more dangerous. If you use a coffee press pot made from glass there is a risk of the glass breaking while you are making your coffee. While most models use borosilicate glass which does not break easily, the possibility of the glass breaking is always present.
The accidents that happen when the glass breaks can be quite nasty since there is a large volume of very hot water involved. For this reason it may be better to get either a ceramic french press or better still a stainless steel press pot.
The following precautions will help you to minimize the risks:
- The bottom of your kitchen sink is a good place to put the press pot full of hot coffee. That way you are likely to avoid severe burns even if the press breaks while you press it.
- Never allow children to operate the French press and do not use it when small children are around.
- Regularly check the jug for scratches and cracks. Do not use the French press if you spot any defects in the glass.
- Do not use metallic spoon to stir the coffee in the glass jug. Use wooden or plastic spoon or chopsticks.
- Rinse the glass jug with hot water before you start brewing your coffee. That way you make it easier for the glass to adapt to the higher temperature.
- Not overfill the jug. Leave at least 1 inch of space above the waterline.
- Do not use finely ground coffee as this makes it more difficult to press the filter down. That increases the likelihood of hot water splashing out.
- Make sure that the spout is not facing anyone when pressing the filter down.
- Press the filter down slowly and gently.
Following these tips should help you prevent accidents and enjoy the delicious coffee that French press can make.
Check my tips on how to get the best out of your French press coffee pot.
Further ReadingTypes of French Press Types
Using the French Press
Electric French Press